***Building Safety Permit Fee changes, effective July 1, 2012 ***
Building Safety fee schedule-CURRENT
Bid Opportunities--All City of Asheville bids and proposals for items or services are coordinated by the Purchasing Division. The City maintains a webpage with all current opportunities listed here.
It is the mission of the Building Safety Department to protect lives, health, and property in Asheville and to support economic development by providing building and development permit services while enforcing the North Carolina State Building Codes, Asheville Housing Code, and related environmental codes.
About the Department
The Building Safety Department is comprised of five divisions which are dedicated to customer service and provides application and permitting process, plan review, and building inspection services to all areas within the Asheville City limits, including the extra territorial jurisdiction areas located outside the city limits.
Change in Development Services Center hours
Effective July 5, 2011, the Development Services Department began operating on a 4-day work week to reduce costs associated with building utilities. The changes are as follows:
- Office hours will be Monday through Thursday - 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Effective June 20, 2011, all telephone inspection requests (828-259-5946) must be received by 4:30 p.m. the day before the request
- Monday inspection requests via the telephone must be received by Sunday at 4:30 p.m.
- Inspection requests received by 4:30 p.m. Thursday are automatically scheduled for Friday, unless specifically requested for the following Monday.
- Inspection requests via the web at www.ashevillenc.gov "Online Services" can be made until 7:00 a.m. the day of the inspection
- Inspections will be performed on Friday.
- Permit Application Center: The Permit Application Center processes permit applications, coordinates with other City of Asheville development departments, and issues permits upon approvals. The center also issues Certificates of Occupancy and Temporary Certificates of Occupancy when applications and approvals from all departments are complete.
- Plan Review: The division performs building plan review for all one and two-family dwellings as well as commercial and multi-family plan review.
- Inspection Services: The Inspection Services Division provides residential and commercial inspections and enforcement of the North Carolina State Building Code.
- Minimum Housing Code Division: The Housing Code Division enforces the City of Asheville Minimum Housing Code and related environmental/safety codes. See changes to the Code by NC Legislature here.
- Facilities Maintenance: The Facilities Maintenance division provides building maintenance services to all City owned buildings.
Building Permit Statistics
The Development Services Department compiles monthly and quarterly statistical reports for building permits issued for all construction work in the City. To review the reports, please click on the appropriate link below:
Director: Shannon Tuch, Interim
Location: Public Works Building, 161 S. Charlotte St.
Mailing: Post Office Box 7148, Asheville, NC 28802
Hours: 7:30 a.m.- 5:30 p.m., Monday - Thursday
Director's Office: (828) 259-5817
Applications, Permit Fees, and Permit Process questions should be directed to the Permit Facilitators listed below:
Building Codes, Plan Review, and Code questions should be directed to the Plan Review staff listed below:
Business Licenses and Tenant Occupancy questions should be directed to the staff listed below: